Friday, September 12, 2008

Watching and waiting








Looks like this is the day that Hurricane Ike is set to make landfall. He seems to have set his sights on SE TX, specifically Galveston, Surfside Beach, several other coastal communities, and the Houston metro area.

We're pretty much ready here in the Johnson household so I feel good about that. Both cars have full gas tanks(thanks Ryan!), we have 5 cases of water, plenty of canned goods, extra gas cans, and a generator. I'm grateful that our church teaches us to be prepared!

Ryan, with the help of Addyson, tried to secure some of the loose boards on the fence in our backyard just to be safe.

The things I'm most concerned about with this storm are the high winds and the possibility of some windows breaking. They're forecasting winds in our area to be upwards of 70 + MPH. I don't want Addyson to get too freaked out when all this is happening, that's why tonight she'll sleep in our bed, and we'll move Delaney's crib to the hall just off of our room. I don't want any of us sleeping near any windows. We probably should have boarded up the windows just to be safe, but it's too late now.

I'm really not looking forward to the power outage we'll have. No electricity in Houston in September is NOT a good thing. A/C is a must and life will be pretty uncomfortable without it.


I'm washing clothes like a mad woman today because I don't know when I'll get to use my washer and dryer again after today.

It's just an eerie feeling around because it's such a pretty and sunny day outside, but at the same time, there's this horrible storm headed our way in just a few hours. I'm grateful that we have the knowledge that there is a storm approaching.


We took the girls to the park earlier to get some last minute energy out, who knows how long we'll be stuck inside. Delaney got to swing for the first time, she loved it. And Addyson met a new friend, so it was a nice distraction from all the weather reports and pending storm.

We'll be doing lots of praying today that Heavenly Father keeps a close watch over us. I'm sure I won't have access to the computer for a few days, but we'll update after everything blows over and we have electricity back.

1 comment:

kristyo15 said...

We didn't board up either. We're making my mom come sleep at our house tonight since we don't have any large trees around. Hope you and your family stay safe!