Monday, December 15, 2008

My Helpful Husband

So along with giving up my daily Cokes, I've given up wheat and dairy products. I'm following a new diet according to what blood type I am. It's really interesting, and it's actually making me feel much better. I started the diet last Thursday and already I can tell a difference. I'm Type A+, so that means basically that I'd make a great vegetarian(umm no, I'll never go 100% that direction). No red meat or pork, my focus should be on fruits, veggies, fish, and chicken, but even chicken should be limited.

The first few days were rough and I was a grouchy person! Ryan was such a help. He and I went over the list of the foods that I should be eating and we devised several menus that would work. One night he made me several pieces of salmon to eat over the course of a few days, he's made me some omelets, and tonight it's chicken stir fry. He's awesome. He works all day, and still he comes home and makes dinner for us.

He also made these really yummy cookies(I had to try one bite!)for Addyson to give to her teachers, and for us to give to friends and neighbors. He got the recipe from Alton Brown, his favorite chef on The Food Network.
Here's the recipe;

Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies

1 batch Sugar Cookies, recipe follows
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candies
Directions
Divide the dough in half and add chocolate and vanilla to 1 half and incorporate with hands. Add egg yolk, peppermint extract, and crushed candy to other half of dough and incorporate with hands. Cover both with plastic and chill for approximately 5 minutes. Roll out doughs separately to approximately 1/4-inch thickness. Place peppermint dough on top of chocolate and press together around the edges. Using waxed paper or flexible cutting board underneath, roll dough into log. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Remove dough from the refrigerator and cut into 1/2-inch slices. Place cookies 1-inch apart on greased baking sheet, parchment, or silicone baking mat and bake for 12 to 13 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through cooking time. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Sugar Cookie:
3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon milk
Powdered sugar, for rolling out dough
Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Place butter and sugar in large bowl of electric stand mixer and beat until light in color. Add egg and milk and beat to combine. Put mixer on low speed, gradually add flour, and beat until mixture pulls away from the side of the bowl

Aren't they pretty??

I'm grateful for my husband and his wonderful culinary skills!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Way to go, Heather! You'll have to give me the details of the diet. The cookies look yummy. Alton Brown is my husband's favorite chef on FoodTV too!

Melanie said...

They look great! I guess I am not that surprised, because Ryan is always impressing me in the kitchen, but here's one more for him, I guess! They look like something I would LOVE, I'll have to try them!

Nolo and Lauren said...

Wow Heather. That's impressive. I'm not sure I could give up bread and dairy. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.