Sunday, February 1, 2009

One Year Ago Today...

I lost my beloved grandmother and godmother, Pappy Gran, on 2/1/08, just 4 days before her 90th birthday. We had a big birthday party in the works for her in Amarillo, plane tickets bought, invitations sent out, you name it. I had been up with an almost 3 month old Delaney the night before I got the call in the morning from my Dad telling me that Pappy Gran was gone. I was devastated. She was not in any ill health at the time, I just think she was ready to go "home" as she called it.

What an angel she was, and such an enormously big part of my childhood, and my life. She helped mold me into the person I am today. When I got older and needed to talk, if my Mom wasn't around, Pappy Gran was the person I'd call. She gave wonderful advice and gave her opinion only if I asked for it. She was a lovely lady and one that made anyone's life better for knowing her. I still think about her everyday and it saddens me that my girls won't know her.

The last time I saw her was 3 weeks before Delaney was born, and when I said goodbye to her that day, I knew I was really saying goodbye. I had a feeling that was going to be the last time I saw her. I can still see her sitting in that chair in my parents living room, and as I walked toward the door, I looked back and we met eyes for the last time here on Earth.

Oh, how I love you still to this Day, Florene Fleming. You are an angel that still watches over me and reassures me that everything will be ok.

No comments: