Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Blessed Before He Even Knew It

About a month ago Brandy called to tell me that Dad was admitted to the hospital with a really bad bout of food poisoning. He was there for several days, and while he was there they did a CT scan. In that scan they found a mass on his right kidney. Instead of removing a piece of the tumor for testing, the doctor recommended the kidney be removed. It was too risky to take a piece of it, so the whole organ needed to come out. Dad kept saying that the bout with food poisoning was definitely a blessing, and I'd say I agree. How else would the doctors have known about the tumor on his kidney??

Fast forward to today, Dad went in for surgery to have the kidney removed. At 10:00 am they started the procedure, and by 11:15 it was over. They were able to remove the kidney arthroscopically(meaning, the incision is very tiny and therefore less recovery time)and he should get to go home in about 3-4 days.

I'm more than relieved this is over and Dad can start healing and getting back to his normal life. Also, I'm so amazed at the number of people we had praying for Dad! It's during the hard times that you truly know who loves and cares for you.

Thank you for the prayers!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Hi Heather! So glad to hear that your dad's surgery went well and that he is recovering now!! I hope he's home now and doing well.

I have missed the last 5+ months of your blog posts because for some strange reason my Google reader wasn't importing your updates. Ugh! I thought it was strange that you all of sudden stopped blogging, and after several times of having this thought, I went to your blog manually to verify... and oh my goodness have I missed a lot! I just finished reading all the missed posts. I wanted to comment on so many of them but since it was like ages ago, I decided not to. It's crazy to see how much the girls have grown up in just a few months! They are so precious!
Big hugs to you all,
Shawna