Sunday, August 24, 2008

Farewell to the games


I have to say it's a bittersweet thing for me to say goodbye to the 2008 Olympic games. Bitter because Ryan and I have really enjoyed watching the games and cheering on our USA Olympians, sweet because we can all now get to bed earlier each night! We'd get so hung up on watching the events that we wouldn't realize it was close to midnight, and we have 2 little girls that like to wake up just about the time the sun does. And I'll be glad to say goodbye to all the Chinese Olympians that seem to have swept most of the gold medals. Each time a Chinese diver stepped onto the platform to dive Ryan and I would let out a moan, well, Ryan probably said more than that;-) One night Addyson stayed up a bit later and we were watching the diving. One of the Chinese performed a pretty good dive and she says, "Yay!! GOOD JOB!" Uh no little one, wrong team to cheer for?! I guess the Summer Olympics have a special place in my heart. The day of the opening ceremonies of the 96' Olympics in Atlanta brought along a lot of pain to my parents, sisters and me. We lost our beloved dog Chesley that we grew up with, so that will always stand out. On a much sweeter note, the start of the 2000 Summer games in Sydney brought with it the start of a pretty neat new romance for me! Ryan and I started dating that Summer and I remember us watching a lot of the games over dinners out, with friends at his apartment, etc. The 2004 Athens games were just as special. I guess at the time I didn't think it was so special being on bed rest and just about to give birth to Addyson LeeAnn. ALL I did was lay in bed and watch the Olympics and about every hour getting a call from Ryan, "Are you in the bed? Remember, you aren't supposed to get out of the bed unless it's to go to the bathroom or to get something to eat, remember???" :) The Beijing games are neat because Miss De-lane is now part of our family. Plus, Ryan's younger brother Jordan is serving his mission in Taipei Taiwan right now, fairly close to where the games are being held... So long Beijing!

No comments: