Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dusting off the Apron

Yes, I've been feeling the guilt lately, guilty for hardly ever cooking for my little family.

Thankfully I have a husband who is so low maintenance with the whole dinner thing. He never asks me, "So, what are we having for dinner?" I never feel expected to make anything, but really, I need to start feeding my family more homemade dinners, a few times a week at least. They deserve it! Maybe if I started cooking more, Addyson would be a less picky eater, and Delaney, well, she'll eat anything I put in front of her, hopefully this is one stage she'll never grow out of(I figured out yesterday that she loves avocados and tomatoes, YAY!).

So I've decided to pick 1 or 2 recipes a week and make them for dinner. Since there are only really 2.5 of us eating(addyson eats like a bird) I really only need to cook a few times a week. I'll be posting the recipes on my blog in case there's someone else out there who carries around with them the same "no cooking" guilt as me;-)
Tonight this is what I'm making(and no, dessert really shouldn't be part of every meal, in my opinion, but these blondies looked really yummy!);

Cheesy Chicken Cordon Bleu Rice Casserole

2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red bell pepper, diced(I'll probably leave this out)
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
½ lb diced ham
2 Cups cooked shredded chicken breast
4 Tablespoons butter
¼ Cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
14 oz can chicken broth
3 Cups cooked rice of choice (I used white long grain)
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup shredded mozzarella or Swiss cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heat oil into a large 5 qt rimmed skillet over medium heat.

Saute onion and bell pepper until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, ham and chicken. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Melt butter then stir in flour, salt and pepper until combined. Slowly stir in chicken broth until well combined. Stir in cooked rice then transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with cheddar and mozzarella cheeses. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cover the dish with foil the last 10 minutes for oozing cheese.
6-8 servings

Raspberry White Chocolate Blondies

¼ Cup butter
¾ Cup white chocolate chips
½ Cup sugar
¼ Cup brown sugar
1 Cup flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ Cup white chocolate chips
2 eggs
2 Tablespoons sour cream
1 Cup fresh raspberries
½ Cup finely chopped pecans
2 Tablespoons sanding sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter in microwave safe bowl. Stir in ¾ Cup white chips until melted and smooth. In a large bowl add the sugar, brown sugar, flour, baking powder, salt and ½ Cup white chips. In a small bowl whisk the eggs and sour cream. Pour into the dry ingredient bowl along with the melted white chip mixture. Mix until just combined.
2. Pour into an 8x8 inch baking dish lined with foil that’s been sprayed with cooking spray. Top evenly with 1 Cup raspberries. Mix the chopped pecans and sanding sugar in a small bowl until combined then sprinkle over top of blondies. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean from center.
Makes 9 blondies

(I get most of my recipes from the picky palate.com!)

3 comments:

kristyo15 said...

sounds yummy! I do believe I will be 'stealing' that recipe. I SO struggle with cooking and our busy lives. We are only home at dinner time like 3 nights out of the week, and right now Joe doesn't get home most nights by 7...I just don't get motivated to cook a meal for me and a 2 year old! :) I'm workin' on it though! Thanks for sharing.

Amy said...

Good for you! Let me know if you need any ideas. I love to cook.

Melanie said...

You'll have to tell me how you like them and maybe I'll give them a try! Sounds yummy!